May is Mental Health Awareness Month Events in Pennsylvania
May is Mental Health Awareness Month Events in Pennsylvania (organized by county)
During the month of May, various businesses, homes, and churches throughout Blair County will Light the Way for Mental Health by illuminating green lights. If a business submits a picture of their business lit up green to Lindsay (email@example.com) by May 14th, they will be featured on the jumbotron at the May 26th Altoona Curve baseball game. This game has been designated “Mental Health Awareness Night”. In support of this night, the Altoona Curve has designed and is selling t-shirts to promote Mental Health Awareness.
Altoona Curve Mental Health Word Tee – Altoona Curve Official Store
Capital Area Intermediate Unit
The Capital Area Intermediate Unit serves Cumberland, Perry, and Dauphin counties. They also serve York County for West Shore School District students living in Etters, Northern York County for those living in Dillsburg, and Franklin County for services provided for Shippensburg School District. In May, Capital Area Intermediate Unit joins the national movement to increase awareness about mental health. We hope to help fight stigma, educate our schools, families and students, and others while advocating for policies to be improved surrounding those with mental illness and their families. This month provides our Intermediate Unit the opportunity to spotlight various resources and information on mental health while sharing those across our area and state. Be sure to check out Capital Area Intermediate Unit's various social media outlets for additional information, and please refer to the
Mental Health Awareness Padlet created by the CAIU for partner resources
And remember to Wear Green or Light up Green on May 11th!
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/CapitalAreaIU/
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/capitalareaiu/
Twitter - https://twitter.com/CapitalAreaIU
CMP System of Care
Carbon, Monroe, and Pike Counties: firstname.lastname@example.org
CMP invites you to participate in the GREEN LIGHT CAMPAIGN to shed light on mental health and trauma awareness. By lighting up your space green, you can show that you have created a safe space for individuals experiencing symptoms of mental illness to seek help. Post resource information and stop the stigma surrounding mental health. Be a beacon of HOPE for someone. https://padlet.com/PACarePartnership/carbon-monroe-and-pike-county-mental-health-awareness-month-tqxzj2if8xsrw3hz
Use videos, posters, and audio clips of the Prevent Suicide PA PSA contest winners to promote discussion and connection to resources. You are free to download and share: https://psa.preventsuicidepa.org/2023-contest-finalists/
Engage students, families, and staff in initiatives to improve the physical and emotional environment. Hold an event, find a speaker, plan a spirit week, and find positive, fun, and uplifting ways to share messages of mental health awareness and support. Sometimes it is just the little things that bring BIG and LASTING happiness.
Carbon, Monroe, and Pike System of Care would love to see the creative and positive things you do. Feel free to share pictures or descriptions. If you are interested in yard signs, resource posters, etc., contact email@example.com by April 21. CMP's intention is to create a lifeline and encourage others to seek support wherever they feel most comfortable. The more organizations that come together, the larger the message will be for individuals to know they have help when needed.
System of Care Coordinators in Delaware County are Laura Kubler (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Christina Gordon (email@example.com)
- May 2nd - YMHFA Training
- May 4th - System of Care Training/ Resource Fair - providing an overview of the Child serving systems and community supports/ resources for professionals, caregivers, and the community. Inviting all participants and presenters to wear green to training.
- May 6th - Upper Darby Township Mental Health and Wellness Fair - providing information and resources on the county child-serving systems.
- May 7th - Sponsoring Child Guidance Resource Centers Superhero Mental Health/Wellness Fair and 5k Walk/Run.
- May 11th - Paint your school green” - Inviting all schools to wear and cover their schools in all green. Delaware will also be asking community agencies/providers to join this event.
- Shine a Light on Mental Health Contest - offering different categories for schools to compete. Delco County Leadership Team will elect the winners. Day of awareness/acceptance System of Care Coordinators will present the winning schools with certificates and gift cards.
- May 12th - Trauma 101 training.
- May 15-16th - Family Roadmap Training.
- May 18th - Marcus Hook Elementary School Resource Fair
- May 20th - Sponsoring Delaware County Suicide Prevention and Awareness Task Force 5k Walk/Run
- May 23rd Trauma 105
- May 31st - Crisis Services Training (Tentative)
System of Care Coordinator, Melanie Trauth (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 9th Annual Greene County Children’s Mental Health Awareness Picnic May 4, 2023, 3-6 pm Lion’s Club Park Waynesburg PA 15370
- CSP Recovery Conference May 17, 2023, Lion’s Club Park Waynesburg PA 15370
- Green Light Campaign – the entire month of May 2023
PA Parent and Family Alliance
Get your calendars ready! We are going full steam ahead right into Mental Health Awareness Month with this jam-packed schedule of events!
- Parenting For Recovery in Your Teen or Young Adult on April 19th at 11 a.m. and p.m. Register
- Mental Health Consent in PA on April 26th at 12 noon. Register
- Navigating the Juvenile Justice System with a Mental Health Challenge on May 3rd at 7 p.m. Register
- Overcoming the Social Stigma on May 10th at 12 noon Register
- Have you listened to our weekly podcast yet? Listen Now
Youth Move PA Events
Youth MOVE PA is a statewide youth & young adult advocacy organization dedicated to eliminating the stigma surrounding mental health while promoting wellness and recovery for those seeking aid along their journey. Join us and other concerned youth advocates who want to make a difference in the lives of youth and young adults.
Youth Move PA is hosting several free trainings and workshops in their office at 2551 Walnut Street, Harrisburg, PA.
- Let's Talk About Suicide on May 4th - $30. Register.
- Let's Talk About Stigma on May 5th - FREE. Register.
- WRAP Seminar l Training - May 17 to May 19 - FREE. Register.
- Youth MOVE PA will be attending events during Mental Health Awareness Month, including:
- Beaver County Bounce Back Event - May 20th
- Beacon Health Options - TAAGs Mental Health Awareness Walk on May 23rd
Questions? Contact Kevin Puskaric, at email@example.com
In partnership with York County Human Services, the York County System of Care designed, initiated, and implemented several activities to raise awareness during Mental Health Awareness Month. A highlight of these activities include the creation of the annual Green Light Campaign that launched in 2018: Shine The Light On Mental Health. All the materials below can be customized to accommodate your campaign(s).
UPDATE: Shatter Mental Health Stigma. Social Media Activation - free to all on Friday, May 5th, 2023, at 3 p.m. Learn more and register.
2023 Overview of Activities
- Shine the Light on Mental Health agenda of events brochure
- Mental Health Awareness Month brochures overview
- Overview of Green Light and Social Media Campaign
- Mental Health Awareness Month Flyer
- Shine The Light Logos
- Customizable Mp4 of Green Light Bulb
- Template and Designs for Yard Signs
- Artwork For Banners
- Video Message for Parents
- Newsletter Summary of Previous Events
Template and Elements To Set Up A Green Light Campaign
For an entire week in May, designated County and City buildings are lit up green, along with dozens of downtown businesses. Individuals, businesses, churches, and schools are also encouraged to light up green by simply changing their porch light bulb color.
In addition to the lights, a street banner is strung across Continental Square promoting this awareness campaign, and signage is placed in strategic locations around town. (i.e., such as the planter boxes--thanks to our partnership with Downtown Inc).
You can also expect to see digital billboards in several locations around the County promoting the “Shine the Light on Mental Health” theme. Lamar has supported our campaign for the past four years and generously donated their billboard space to promote this initiative.
A form is distributed to recruit volunteers or to request a light, poster, or yard sign.
How To Introduce and Track the Green Light Campaign
Green Light Tracking Instructions provide background and talking points as a reference.
Green Light Tracking Form for you to complete when you recruit any new business.
The third item is a letter that explains the “light up green” event for the potential prospect. It also includes a link showing our previous campaigns. You can easily update the letter and customize it with your name.
Social Media Campaign
York County SOC is finalizing the 2023 Social media campaign under the guidance of Kylee Social, a social media management agency based in New York City and Philadelphia, PA. This campaign will be distributed to interested organizations/counties who want to launch in their community of supporters.
For the past several years, York County SOC has organized a short walk downtown following reading the Mental Health Awareness Month proclamation for more information.
Several non-profits team up to promote mental health awareness at a baseball game. Vendors are present to share their agency information and resources. In addition to the pre-game promotional activities, which included airing student-produced PSAs, the SOC also initiated a special memorial event at the end of the game for families who lost loved ones by suicide. In collaboration with the Coroner’s Office, families are invited to walk on the field carrying a green light, representing their loved ones who have passed. Video for a preview of the event in 2020.
So, Ya Think You Can Sing Contest flyer
Every year, schools are invited to either light up their school green or host a mental health awareness event in their school. The System of Care has allocated funds for schools to purchase materials to light up green! In addition, schools can submit a video to show what they did to raise awareness among the student population. The winning videos receive donations from the System of Care toward mental health awareness activities for their district. For contest information.
Members of our Human Services team will be offering training for employees of downtown businesses that will focus on mental health, drug and alcohol, and homelessness. The training aims to provide insights on how to handle situations if their customer is experiencing a mental health episode or drug reaction. The training will include input from a York City Police officer as well.
Community Film Focusing on Suicide and Mental Health
The System of Care is sponsoring a film for schools and the community. We plan to host several showings throughout the month. More information to follow. For additional information.
Customizable PSA Videos: